Music News Headlines - Yahoo! News

Monday, September 23, 2013

Meet Artist & Writer Lawrence Parlier this is a good book to read

 

Do you plan everything or just let the story flow?

 

I usually outline the story and the greater plot points to help decide what needs to happen in each chapter. I do character sketches of all the major players. But, I like the freedom to create on the fly. I write first drafts that are completely mad, full of tangents and long-winded asides as I explore the world of the story. Most of the time, things will happen spontaneously that are far better than what I’d planned.

 

Do your characters ever want to take over the story? I love those moments when the characters’ personalities gel for me and their actions and responses become obviousBut, so far, I’ve never had one try to take over. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. (laughs)

 

What is your favorite food? I don’t really have one. I like to try new things.

 

Are you a morning person or a night owl?I’m a night owl. That’s when I do my best work.

 

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?I’d love to take an extended tour of the Mediterranean; Spain,Southern France, Italy, Greece…in a perfect world, EgyptI’m a big history buff. I’d welcome a chance to see the Parthenon, the Coliseum in Rome, the Giza plateau, plus dive in to the literature and art scenes there, as well. I could spend a yearexploring, easily.

 

Do distant places feature in your books?Not yet, I’m still working out things around here. 

 

Do you listen to music while writing? As much as I love music, I can’t. I get taken away by the music and become distracted.

 

Could you tell us a bit about your latest release? “Sierra Court Blues” is about two friends, Jon and Bo, who are trying to take their band to the next level, and, how their egos, relationships and excesses hinder them at every turn. Their friendship is put to the test as circumstances spin beyond their control. It is set in the early 90’s against the backdrop of the metal scene when it was at its height.

 

What have you learned about writing and publishing since you first started? I’ve learned to keep a tighter writing schedule. I don’t sit around waiting for the Muse to strike. I’ve also gotten a lot better at revision and being able to see what’s working and what isn’t.

On the publishing end, I’ve learned patience and not to take rejection personally. I’ve also learned that the competition is fierce and that you really have to be on top of your game. It is an exhilarating challenge.

 

Is there anything you would do differently?Not really. I think that my experiences have led me down the proper path, if not the right one. Who I am as a writer is as dependent on my failures as it is my successes. It was certainly never boring.

 

Who, or what, if anything has influenced your writing? I am a big fan of the Beats, especially, Bill Burroughs. I remember, as a teenager, being absolutely floored by “The Nova Express” and what was possible and acceptable in a novel. It was a quantum leap from the reading list for my sophomore English Lit. class, for sure. That was when I really got interested in writing.

 

Anything you would say to those just starting out in the craft?

I know it will sound cliché, but, write. Don’t second guess yourself and don’t be inhibited. In a first draft, you should feel absolutely free to let it all hang out. It can always be revised into an acceptable form.

 

What are three words that describe you?(laughs) That’s a good one. I don’t know. I’d like to say intense, confident and focused. My wife would probably say, disorganized, restless and goofy. So…somewhere in between, I guess.

 

What's your favorite book or who is your favorite writer? I have a ton of favorite writers…Chuck Palahniuk, Brett Easton Ellis, Tom Robbins, Mark Twain, DonPeteroy, Burroughs, just to name a few.

There is no way I could pick a favorite book. It would be like naming my favorite child. It wouldn’t be fair to the others.

 

.       Who is your favorite fictional villain?   Hal 9000

 

 

11.       What is your biggest pet peeve?    People who don’t use their damn turn signals….

 

12.       What is your fantasy profession?   Actor

 

13.       What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?Sense of humor, Common Sense, Exuberance

 

14.       If you could only do one thing for the rest of your life what would it be?   Create

 

 

15.       What are your 5 favorite songs of all time?   Beauty and the Beast by Stevie Nicks, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Superstition by Stevie Wonder, End of the Night by The Doors, Time by Pink Floyd


Come follow us on twitter @Dagrahyndmusic or tune into www.Dagrahyndmysic.co online radio station


No comments:

Post a Comment